Basuki to Block China Payment Over Broken Buses i

A spate of fires onboard TransJakarta buses has forced the city's administration to reconsider using the Chinese made vehicles. (SP Photo/Joanito De Saojoao)

By : Jakarta Globe | on 09:00 AM May 02, 2014
Category : News, Jakarta

An investigation of the transportation office’s procurement process allegedly found several irregularities. (SP Photo/Joanito De Saojoao) Jakarta Deputy Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama is refusing to pay for a fleet of buses that arrived with myriad problems. (SP Photo/Joanito De Saojoao)

Jakarta. Jakarta Deputy Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama said on Friday that City Hall would not approve payment to a Chinese company for 646 buses that were ordered for use on the city's TransJakarta network.

"No matter what, we are not paying," Basuki said, as reported by Indonesian news magazine Tempo.co.

Jakarta purchased the buses for the TransJakarta and the new Integrated City Busway (BKTB) networks from a Chinese company through a third party. It was clear, however, upon delivery of the first batch of 90 ostensibly new buses that myriad faults, spanning broken air conditioners, rust and missing fan belts, meant that the buses had already run years of service.

Basuki said he was prepared to defend the decision in court, if the company decided to go down that road.

"We have the evidence," he said. "We can sue them."

Basuki previously alleged that officials within the city government's transport department played a role in the failed procurement. The deputy governor added that the Chinese company could have the buses back, but that he would not be shipping them back to Beijing on the city's account.

"It's up to them whether or not they want to pick up the buses," he said.

Show More
 
MORE NEWS